Israel’s equity Crowdfunding platform, OurCrowd announced that it has closed $5.5M in Series A funding and successfully closed 12 company funding rounds from accredited investors in its first quarter of operation with an average deal size of $500,000. Total capital raised for companies and the platform now totals over $12 Million.
It is a new and innovative way to invest in Israeli startups. As an equity Crowdfunding platform, OurCrowd identifies companies seeking early stage investment and brings these opportunities to its membership who choose which deals they participate in via OurCrowd-managed partnerships.
OurCrowd co-invests in all of these deals, and manages the ongoing investments in the companies, including Board participation. Membership in OurCrowd is limited to only those meeting stringent accreditation requirements. Further, deals being funded are kept confidential and are not disclosed to the general public until complete.
OurCrowd Founder and CEO, Jon Medved said, “We are focused on linking global accredited investors with Israel’s dynamic and exciting Start-up Nation scene, which is generating investment opportunities unlike any I have seen in the past.”
The first deals completed on the site so far include:
- AbesMarket.com – The Leading Organic E-Commerce Site, co-investment with Accel Partners, Index, and Carmel Ventures.
- Sherpa – The new internet information venture from Bob Rosenschein, founder and CEO of Answers.com (sold to Summit Partner’s AFCV Holdings for $127 million), co-investment with Cedar.
- TradeOS – The new freight forwarding automation venture from Zvi Schreiber, the founder and CEO of Tradeum.com. (sold to Vertical Net for $450 million).
- Parko – Launching a unique social parking solution and recently won the Israel Mobile Challenge Competition sponsored by Google.
- Fireblade – Leading company for protecting websites from malicious bots and scraping, co-investment with Jeffrey Citron’s (founder of Vonage) KEC Holdings.
- Consumer Physics – Building a pocket spectrometer for smartphones, enabling a variety of consumer apps, co-investment with Khosla Ventures.
Medved is joined in this new venture by an experienced team of 10 investment professionals, including Steven Blumgart, formerly of Glencore; Pini Lozowick, formerly of Broadcom and Alta Berkeley; Elan Zivotofsky, formerly of Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers; Zack Miller formerly of SeekingAlpha; Gadi Mazor, formerly of Onset, Robbie Citron of Jerusalem Global, Jay Kalish of Allot, and David Arnovitz formerly of SecureWare.